Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Thankful Thoughts - April 23, 2013

This morning started out quite brisk. Frost had painted the grass white and the blades arched under the weight of the frigid water. In the predawn hours the birds were squawking and tweeting their morning welcomes from branches barely budding with new growth. Year long residents of those same branches followed our movements with keen interest as they waited for the magical feeder to re-appear on its hook.



A few days ago two Northern Flickers were worm hunting with the Robins in the front lawn. Purple house finches have joined the group at the feeder which includes Juncos, Black-Capped Chickadees, Sparrows, Tufted Titmice, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Goldfinches and the ever-present-and-just-getting-fatter Mourning Doves. The Blue Jays seem to have found other feeding grounds.

I took the day off. I mean - I've been unemployed for a little over a year now. Usually I'm driving myself crazy trying to find work. There are a couple dozen sites I look at every week. Trolling for work. Plus I research. Plus I try to work on at least one craft per day (usually more). Write at least one post for this blog.

Today I went for a few walks. Talked to my daughter. Leafed through some quilting books -- for fun. Played with the dog. And looked around me. On April 23rd (today) it is 70 degrees outside.WOW. Spring has really arrived.

Tonight when I took down the magic birdfeeder and locked it in the shed (there's a local bear) I was barefoot. In April. In Pennsylvania. The birds did a re-peat of their morning performance. Bandit and I watched them from the warm side of the screen door long enough for me to see a bird gliding into one of the Arborvitae border that are lined up like sentinals guarding the neighboring property. The sun faded from rose to purple to deep blue twilight.

This morning I was thankful for my Carhartt jacket. Tonight I'm thankful for ears to hear and eyes to see all the bounty around me. It must be fun to be a bird and glide through the air.

Can you see anything beautiful near you? Enjoy your evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment