Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Quick Gift Project

It's Spring! Check out this red-winged blackbird chirping at us from his high perch. We think he was warning the other birds that intruders were on the path.

I had just enough time this morning to go for a walk with Bandit and prepare one of the raised beds for planting (radishes and onion sets) before the rain set in. Sure is nice to see the grass coming back to life and the trees starting to bud.

The last couple days have been gorgeous outside (upper 60s to 70s). We've been taking advantage of the warmth before the cool down later this week.



Here's another red-winged blackbird. Look how much the trees have sprouted!

I decided to take a break from quilting for a day or so and work on other projects.

Here's a photo of the picture frame made while waiting for the rain to stop. Took right around an hour to put together. Very easy to make. Honestly - it took me longer to gather the materials to make it than it did to make (well, maybe not but it sure did seem that way). The fabric showing through the oval cut-out could have been smoothed down better, but it won't show once a photo is placed in it. I just love this fabric though. Wish I had more.

All required materials were items I had on hand - even the 2-sided carpet tape. Mostly common items like scissors, tracing paper, carbon paper, glue, a knife (x-acto), fabric, batting, pins, and a needle and thread.

The fabric frame project came from the 25 page soft-cover book "Fabric Frames : Great Gift Ideas - Easy to Make" published by Gick Publishing. It contains step-by-step illustrated instructions (photographs) and templates for the seven basic projects and alternate finishing suggestions. Am planning to make the projects for Christmas presents for my family, but would be a suitable craft project for pre-teens. Yes. I know it's only April, but time flies and if I don't get a head start on projects I won't get them finished in time.

Picked my copy up at the library book sale, but Amazon has some used ones for less than a dollar (my price range).




No comments:

Post a Comment