Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

A Country Divided

Back in 1858, President Abraham Lincoln made what is now referred to as the "House Divided" speech. While I have been somewhat vocal on the subject of current politics I've been a bit remiss on today's culture. What follows is solely a matter of my opinion. I don't care if you agree. I don't care if you disagree. I am simply exercising my first amendment right.

My opinion: I believe we have more common beliefs than objections and am appalled that we as a country can't join together and find a compromise that will get us over and through these rough times. Unfortunately I can see both sides of the coin.

WELFARE:
According to the U.S. Government: "The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is designed to help needy families achieve self-sufficiency. "1 Sounds great on the surface, but is it working?

I've been digging a little deeper into the matter and have found some alarming statistics.According to the National TANF Data File for the reported data dated 8/24/2010, the total number of Female Adults receiving TANF in the United States (and territories) was 836,436. Considering that the total population in 2010 was 308,745,538 - that's a pretty low number. Shock comes into play when the data is sorted to discover where that money plays out. Would you believe that total number adult female TANF recipients in California was 228,698. Makes the number of recipients in New York look pitifully small (57,084). Yes Martha. I am pitiful at exaggerating.

This data 





No comments:

Post a Comment