Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Local Brown Bag Challenge

A week or so ago I finally decided on the pattern to use with the batik fabric in my stash: Kaleidoscope because I like the optical illusion it forms. It's only taken me three years to decide which pattern to make. lol. Wednesday I went to my local fabric store, Little Fabric Garden to find coordinating fabric.
 
This is a picture of the first completed block along with the "Stonehenge" fabric I purchased.]

The owner, Judy, was sweet and very helpful. As were the other patrons I met while there. She has some beautiful quilts displayed. Some gorgeous fabrics too.  Folks - they have MODA fabric (one of my fav's)... I can see my fabric stash growing by leaps and bounds. ;)

Note: Judy has fresh cookies in the shop...and they are YUMMY!! Don't go there hungry if you're on a diet.

After much browsing and comparing, I was able to find one selection that worked well with one of the batiks, two additional batik prints, the backing fabric and another coordinating fabric for the Bears Paw quilt I'm making for the camp.

But I wasn't through.

While checking out I noticed a milk crate full of brown paper bags and a "Brown Bag Challenge" sign. I thought this would be a good way to show off my skills and perhaps win $25 gift certificate to spend in the shop. Plus - it's not due until August 31st. Plenty of time for even me to complete something using the fabric. Below is a photo of the fabric that was in the bag.



Here's how the challenge works:
  • All quilters get the same fabric. 
  • You can add or subtract one fabric to compliment and complete your creation. So - the project can have as few as 4 fabrics or as many as 6 fabrics.
  • You can make anything you want (quilt, wall hanging, etc.)
  • The completed project can't be any larger than 2375 square inches.
  • All fabrics must be in plain sight -- not hidden.
Patrons vote for their favorite project. The project with the most votes win.

I've already picked out the block pattern I'm going to use for this. Will post more at a later date. In the meantime, if you were going to use the brown bag fabrics what pattern would you choose? Would you make a quilt, wall hanging or some other kind of project?

If you live in or around Bradford, PA stop by and join the challenge.











No comments:

Post a Comment