Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

We put the "fun" in dysfunctional!

The first time I heard that saying was about four years ago when I worked for a growing retailer. Yes. I lead a sheltered life. This past week I read similar words to those in a quilting novel by Terry Thayer titled "Ocean Waves"*. I believe one of the characters said "she takes the 'fun' out of dysfunctional", but that was close enough to make a connection. [I read the "e-book". Free from my library. If my library has free e-books yours probably does too.]



Seems that most people I've met feel that they have a dysfunctional family. The older I get the more I realize how much we all have in common. All families are dysfunctional in one way or another. Even the ones in Pleasantville. Some just think they are perfect. lol

Because of our past with our families sometimes holidays aren't the most fun times to get together. It all depends on your perspective. 

We used to have a grand time playing in my great grandma's basement when the whole family came together for the holidays. The ladies in the kitchen cooking up a feast fit for a king. The men watching or talking about sports or cars. The kids all pumped up from eating jelly beans; running in and out of rooms - being kids. The stories you've heard a thousand times and can probably repeat word for word. The little quirks that we all have. Yes, you too darlin'. It's good to be with people who know you so well that you can say a certain phrase and all the grown-ups understand and laugh. Enjoy these times. They are the good stuff in life.

Here's something most families and people in general have in common: We all come together during both good and bad times. Holidays. Weddings. Birthdays. Funerals. We help each other. Like the hero's say: "I just did what needed to be done".

Tomorrow is Easter. A time for families. A time to celebrate. A time to be washed clean by the blood. A time to meet each other in love. This is my Easter prayer: 

Let no harsh word escape my mouth today. 
Let me think happy thoughts. 
Let me bask in the glory that surrounds me.
Let me love my fellow man. 
Let me walk in peace.
Let me live for today.

The Hippies did have some good ideas. It's all about love. The Youngbloods sing Get Together.

Happy Easter, Folks. Have a grand time with your friends and family. Make a good memory.

We're having unseasonably warm weather right now. It's supposed to get up to 50 degrees today. Hey - I'm in Pennsylvania. That's a heat wave for this time of year. I'm off for a hike with Bandit. Toodles! as my friend, Teri would say.

* This is the third book I've read by this author. They are very easy reads. Predictable, but well written dialog and character development. Of course, they're about quilts. Worth the read if you like that kind of book. A little spicy in spots, but she only sets the scene - your imagination would fill in the blank. You don't need a Kindle to read an e-book there's link to an application for it below.



No comments:

Post a Comment