Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

To market, to market to buy a fat quarter...

Farm Animal Nursery Quilt - Part One




These Farm Animal Quilt Blocks were purchased from Mary Jo's Cloth Store in Gastonia, NC while on a day-trip with my mother and daughter. We spent hours browsing the shop and came away with some beautiful fabric. They have an incredible selection of all types of fabric and notions at great affordable prices. If you happen to stop by there check out their reproduction fabrics.


Mary Jo's had several patterns of stamped embroidery blocks. I liked the Farm Animals best. The pattern itself was made in the USA by Jack Dempsey Needle Art in St. Louis, MO. Here is a link to their other patterns they offer: Jack Dempsey 9" Nursery Quilt Squares Inexpensive. Made in USA. Both good selling/buying points.

The pattern instructions told the size of material to use for the front and backing. It also noted additional materials needed to complete the project were batting, a hoop, needle and floss.

It took a while to decide which "check" fabric to use for the sashing and backing. After rubbing the fabric between my fingers and looking closely at the thickness I chose this wonderful woven red check cotton fabric. Isn't it funny how you can just feel quality fabric? I guess that's why it's referred to as the "hand" of the fabric.

I didn't need to purchase the other "additional materials" so after a nice lunch at Red Lobster, we headed home.

Here is a picture of the kit I chose.




It comes with pre-printed cotton/poly broadcloth blocks, a Block Letter Guide (to use if you want to personalize the quilt) and instructions on how to assemble the quilt. Other materials and notions need to be purchased separately. The notions and fabric requirements are shown on the back of the pattern - just like on sewing patterns (Butterick, Simplicity, etc.).

I already had the notions needed. The woven check I chose is shown below.





Isn't it lovely?

It takes a while to embroider the blocks and that's the first step.

For now I'll just have a spot of tea and reflect on my next post.

Have a great day, y'all!







No comments:

Post a Comment