Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thankful Thoughts on a Tuesday

A while back I had remarked to my son, "Great weather if you're a goose". (You know - just being a smarty-pants.) He said, "What in the world are you talking about?" I went on to explain that the snow was floating slowly to the ground, but that the flakes were the size of goose down - really big and fluffy. We're having a repeat, only it's not just floating down - it's swirling up and down and all around like it's dancing to a minuet. My kids call this one of my mom-ism's; at least they listen to me when I talk (usually).



Even though the last two sticky buns are calling my name from the refrigerator, I'm dining on Progresso Vegetable Classics Minestrone today in keeping with that nasty it's almost swimsuit time diet. I'm eating the whole can though. A big ol' 200 calories! Yup. I'm sure before the end of the day one of those little buns are going to be headed for my hips, but for now I'm resolved to be good. lol I did however put a generous dollop of homemade 'hot sauce' in the soup [recipe here.] It'll clear out your sinuses!

While I was opening the can I noticed the Box Top$ for Education coupon and wondered if the schools in this area took advantage of this program. I remember Gran used to save all of the labels from Red & White soup and give them to the school. I don't remember if it was the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts that came around and picked them up. She's just say "put them in the drawer with the rest of them". I remember we always had crackers with our soup to make the meal s-t-r-e-t-c-h further. Did your family do that? We had Ritz crackers or townhouse crackers. Sometimes Gran would splurge and we'd have chick-n-biscuit crackers. For the tomato soup we always had oyster crackers.

Isn't the memory a funny thing? We remember some things in our life in such vivid detail and other things, eh -- not so much.

Today I'm thankful that I have happy memories and for the simple ability to remember them. Some people have Alzheimer's; some have never known love.

I'm grateful for being inside a house warmed by cherry logs while watching goose-down snowflakes drifting around outside my window. Some people are homeless.

I'm grateful for vegetable soup out of a can...even though my homemade tastes better. Some people will go to sleep hungry.

I'm thankful for friends and family that telephone out of the blue just to chat about the weather. Some people don't have friends and family and feel all alone in the world.

I'm thankful for having a new day to celebrate life.

Do yourself a favor: Smile. And pass it on.

Kool and the Gang sing Celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment