Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Market SNAFU


Farm Animal Nursery Quilt - Part Three
OR Good News/Bad News

All nine blocks have been embroidered now.

There was a block that can be personalized in the set. It's where you put the baby's name, date of birth and weight - if you're making it for someone special.  Because this quilt isn't for someone in particular I decided to put a line from a nursery song that I felt was appropriate regardless of whether it's politically correct or not.

The text was easy enough to make. I used the Block Letter Guide included with the kit as a template for the letters. I drew three horizontal lines on a piece of typing paper then creased the paper in half vertically. To center the text I used what my old typing teacher taught: count the letters and spaces and divide that number in two. If it's an uneven number, center the middle letter on the crease. Once all the letters were traced onto each line, I placed the template under the block and, using a pencil, very lightly traced the letters onto the block. Easy as pie!



Next, I cut the sashing to go between and around the blocks and sewed them together as per the instructions. I had to take out one of the seams and re-sew it because instead of two right-sides together I had put a right and wrong side together. Not really a big deal, because it could be fixed and all I lost was a little time.

The SNAFU came after I had pinned the last block on the strips together to sew. (You sew the short sashing to the blocks, then sew the blocks together, then sew the strips to first the inner then the outer sashing). As I pinned it to the inner sashing I noticed that I had neglected to cut the extra fabric off the block. Can you guess what happened? YUP. I cut the sewing line instead of the cutting line. UGH!!!

All nine embroidered blocks are shown below sitting willy-nilly on the background fabric.



Here's the good news: cutting this one block on the sewing line didn't ruin the quilt, it just delayed the completion.

I went online to Jack Dempsey Needle Art and ordered a new kit. Which, by the way, was on SALE! Their shipping and prices were so reasonable that I ordered a cross-stitch sampler too. Can't wait for them to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment