Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

Finally Friday. Knitting.

10 pattern rows completed
Y'all know my fondness for crocheting baby sweaters, hats and booties. They're generally quick, easy projects. Many of the patterns I use are available for free on Ravelry.com. I've purchased a few patterns from there and also from Etsy because they were just so dang cute!

Recently I purchased two separate crochet patterns for both a girl's sweater and a boy's cardigan. Absolutely adorable! But the instructions are too much like work, so I set them aside and went on another search. In my haste, I neglected to restrict the results to "crochet" and all these cute little sweaters magically showed up on the computer screen. Most of the ones I liked were knitted.

Found a really cute free pattern from Red Heart (the yarn folks). It's called "Star Bright Baby Cardigan". The pattern is very simple and relatively short. A good project for someone getting back into knitting after a lengthy absence.

Even though I've been knitting since grade school, I had to go to YouTube to watch "how to" knitting videos. Found some really good videos by "iknitwithcatfur". I refreshed my memory of how to knit and even learned how to cast on by knitting. Here's a link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSWKZrcbTI

Where's the pattern?
I set to work making the Star Bright Baby Cardigan, but the pattern didn't look right about ten rows into the project. Back to youTube and re-learned the proper way to "yarn over". *sheesh* Started the project over using the correct weight of yarn to obtain gauge.

Confession time:
The first attempt at the sweater pattern was WAY off gauge because I "assumed" the baby yarn was a heavier weight. Yup - didn't read the label.

Although it's standard practice to knit a swatch and check gauge before you begin a project, I don't normally swatch. My gauge is usually spot-on and the few times it hasn't been correct the project has usually just begun and not much time has been lost.

I measured the stitch and row length about the same time the "pattern" problem became obvious. Because only ten rows were complete, the project was re-started using the correct weight of yarn.

With about ten rows completed, the pattern is looking much better (those "holes" are yarn-overs).

Knitting may be pretty, but crocheting is fast. I'm impatient to see the finished product! Will post photos of the finished sweater.

Y'all have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment