Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Re-Branding Petunia Magpie

Confession time:
I've been known to take on too much. A common action for overachievers. Unfortunately - time and ability only stretch so far before burn-out occurs. Since June, I have been:
  • Making hex signs and other painted objects.
  • Making crochet animals and other fabric items.
  • Updating two Etsy shops, two blogger blogs (although badly).
  • Learning several new skills (C-Print Captioning, Marketing via Coursera, etc.)
  • Working on Christmas projects.
  • Living and playing.
  • Working at a part-time job (yeah! gainful employment!)
With many items on my "to-do" list, some tasks inevitably fall through the cracks. That is exactly what has happened with the Petunia Magpie and Tole You So blogs.



As stated yesterday, after research and self-evaluation I have determined that the best course of action for the shop(s) AND customers is to re-brand Petunia Magpie.

Some of you may have noticed the banner and background changes on Petunia Magpie (Facebook, Etsy shop and this blog). That is one of several changes coming to Petunia Magpie (the blog).

I'm considering writing a business plan, but at this point Petunia Magpie is just a hobby and the time involved in writing a full-fledged business plan would better be spent elsewhere. However, I am giving thought to some components of a business plan. Specifically: How will I profit? Ideally, I would like to profit from the sales of my products. Time has shown that more is needed in order to pay the bills. ROI must be considered. In addition to identifying my customers, I'm researching pay-per-click links and programs like Amazon Associates. Toying with the idea of changing the type of product I'm selling. Something that is easier to mass-produce. [Like the sock monkey that is currently on site.]

To further "Brand" Petunia Magpie, I will be creating custom labeling and packaging. [Using card stock and StampinUP! products.] I also am considering narrowing the focus of the shop. More baby/child items. Less purses for 'grown-ups'.

Promotions are also under consideration. Currently, I offer free regular shipping for orders over $25. A "Thank You" discount of 10% is provided to paying customers to use on future orders.

The intention is to set myself apart from my competition by doing a little bit more. 

Will it be enough? Time will tell.




No comments:

Post a Comment