Pages

Monday, September 7, 2015

Labor Day. Long post warning!!!

While the intention was to re-open the Etsy shop this weekend, I decided mental health was more important than the possibility of earning money and took a road trip to visit old friends instead.


Posted here are two of the lovely vistas we were fortunate enough to behold. The first was taken looking over the mountains that surround the quaint village of Morris, PA. The second is one of the many pastoral views coming into Wellsboro, PA. Shumway Hill area.
On other matters...

Since April, most of my free time has been spent working. Both at my regular 40-hour a week job and making items to sell as "Petunia Magpie" at a local festival. Even break- and lunch-times at work were spent crocheting baby items.

Our first event this year...

Springs first event was a disaster. More money was spent than made. Sad. Upsetting. Disheartening. Depressing enough that I decided to concentrate on only doing one more festival for the entire year.

Perhaps not the best decision, but life perpetually offers other challenges that make some decisions seem almost prescient in hindsight. *sigh*

Then came time for the only festival of choice. Why that festival? Well... First and foremost because the town was so very welcoming! Local folks took the time to stop by and visit a spell, offering words of encouragement. Encouragement is always appreciated. Plus, I actually made a few dollars there last year -- and had fun doing it!

The last few weeks leading up to the event were very stressful. Family, work and relationship issues, mostly. This scene from Dead Poet's Society (starting at about 24 seconds in) kinda shows the internal mantra from those days. Yeah. "Gotta Do More. Gotta Be More."

Setting priorities...
A few days before festival I had a talk with the mirror.
You know. One of those times when you look around and look at the facts pertaining to whatever situation you are in realistically. Off came the rose-colored glasses and I took a hard look at both the business and artistic sides of Petunia Magpie.

My love always tells me that I am my own worst enemy. I put too much pressure on myself. He knows how important it is for me to succeed as an artist. This years efforts where intended for an entirely different purpose: to earn some much needed capital. Entirely the wrong purpose. Yes. Hindsight is 20/20.

As it stands now, Petunia Magpie is a hobby. Most of the items I've made - that have sold - I've lost money on or broken even. That's only considering the expenses side. The time, effort and creativity put into objects d'art have been minimized in an effort to keep prices affordable.



I dropped many prices to rock bottom for the festival. Things that had not sold at previous events were reviewed, considered and priced accordingly. Many prices were dropped to break-even. Out with the old - in with the new.

Now regret has reared it's ugly head for allowing so much artistic expression to be to "cheapened" by setting such low prices in order to reach a sales goal. For some items anyway.

There were several items that because of quality and originality were priced to at least cover some of the labor expense. Shockingly, the most expensive of those items sold without so much as the blink of an eye. I was touched to the point of tears. Blessed beyond belief.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm redirecting my energies and focus.

Another part of me is looking at the items I've been creating and asking myself, "Is this how you want Petunia Magpie to be thought of? Plain, run of the mill and inexpensive?" The answer to that is a resounding ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Focusing on lessons learned in the past can help you plan for the future...
Our family is blessed to know the difference between quality and quantity. Because we've been cash-poor most of our lives, we know a low price doesn't necessarily mean a product has good value. Our money is hard-earned and we've been known to be rather miserly. (The question when making a purchase is usually, "Is this a want or a need?".)

By the same token, as artists and craftspeople, we know items made by experienced artisans are worth the extra outlay of cash. For the most part, hand made items are more durable than factory made products. The added bonus in purchasing hand crafted is the support it provides to local communities.

Y'all should know that I lose myself when I paint. It is my true calling. Something I will always do.

Y'all should also know that I adore making baby items. Hats, booties, quilts, sweaters, blankets and toys. But when I think of baby things, I remember all the lovely layettes, sweaters, booties and blankets Gran used to make. Generations of us have received items she created decades ago and are still using today. Heirloom quality items.

That is how I want Petunia Magpie to be remembered: heirloom quality products.

I realize a lot of folks are looking for a deal. I get it. We all are trying to make our money go as far as possible. Therefore, I will continue to make a sampling of low-cost baby items and other small, sundry items. However, because I have changed the focus of Petunia Magpie from "profit" to "creative outlet", going forward products will primarily be intended for those who appreciate artistry and heritage and creativity.

In other words, I'm creating items for sale that satisfy my artistic soul. The decision to change the way I think about Petunia Magpie (hobby versus business) has been liberating. I hope you enjoy the resulting efforts!

2 comments: