Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday: An Actual Day of Rest. March 1, 2015.

This is a picture taken along the a local trail when Bandit and I took a longer than normal winter walk yesterday afternoon. We were celebrating the fact that all the snow from the roads had melted and the temperature had risen to 21 degrees.

Still plenty of snow in the woods. Bandit enjoys rolling around in it. It does my heart good to watch him frolic around off-leash. Bouncing from back-to-front legs in that typical doggie posture that invites me to join him in his favorite game: Keep Away. The snow underfoot is still too slippery to engage the playful child in me; age has a way of making you aware of your limitations -- whether you want to or not. His second favorite game is sniffing the bunny prints - amusing in themselves because they resemble bunnies.

Do you remember the old saying, "If March comes in like a lion it will go out like a lamb."? [A bit of false weather lore that Granola always quoted in March... one of the many 'old time' sayings I miss hearing simply because it was she who said it.] When the front door swung open at 6:30 this morning, a fresh three-inch deep powder greeted us from the deck. It's been snowing ever since. The local weatherman predicts 6-8 inches of "accumulation" [their gentle euphemism for the four-letter white stuff] during the next 12 hours.

I'm rejoicing because Monday is my 'late day' at work and I don't have to be there until 10:30 a.m. and the roads will be cleared by then. AND I don't have anywhere I need to go today. Not having to drive in this stuff is always a good thing.

After having a combination of P/T jobs for the last year, I find myself re-learning the rhythm of a F/T Monday through Friday employment. Although sales floor level retail kept the bills paid and food in our bellies, required flexible work hours meant that most weekends were spent fulfilling someone else's dream (bottom line) rather than my own.

Yes. Money makes things easier. Yet interests closer to the heart would be those that bring beauty or comfort to the world.

Today I'm feeling blessed that I have had two days off in a row. That I like both the company I work for and the people I work with. After working there for a month I STILL feel like I hit the job lottery. That's a blessing in itself.

Today I'm kicking back and relaxing. A master of science fiction calls to me from the Dune Series pages. The God Emperor Leto is getting a new Duncan Idaho soon. Ah... to have an imagination as creative as the great Frank Herbert.

With that I bid you 'Adieu'. Blessed be.


No comments:

Post a Comment