Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

Finally Friday. Panama/Cloche. Forest Reflections Shawl.

Panama/Cloche Paid Pattern
You may have previously read about the Panama/Cloche hat crocheted using the free pattern and how after making a hat I purchased a paid version of the pattern in hopes of obtaining a better result.

Am not entirely happy with either the paid pattern or the way it's developing. Mostly because I'm an old lady and working with the super-fine yarn and size C hook that this pattern calls for is a little more delicate than these eyes with "multi-focal" goggles can handle.

Part of the pattern problem is its inaccuracies. For example, there's a difference between "standing double crochet" and a plain old double crochet. A standing double crochet is generally used when changing colors. A double crochet... well, you use it when the pattern tells you to. Why on Earth you would even write 'standing double crochet' when you mean 'double crochet' is beyond my comprehension. Fortunately the pattern maker (NOT designer) was able to quickly respond with proper terminology.

Another part of the problem is gauge -- my fault entirely. In my haste to get the project underway I exercised bad judgement rather than caution. First by not making a pattern swatch. Second by using a larger than necessary hook. (C versus E).

Plus the yarn itself is smaller than the pattern calls for. When I started the project my reasoning ran along the lines of "surely two strands of lace-weight yarn will equal one strand of super-fine weight." Uhmmm: NOT. But the yarn is pretty, has a nice hand and is easy to work with.

The gauge is just off.

Anyway, the gauge problem can't be immediately be remedied as I have no super-fine yarn in The Closet of Doom. The photo shown is merely a visual reference of how the purchased pattern is starting to shape up using a double strand of Harmony lace weight yarn by JoJoland* in the color they call "Lavender Fields".

Obviously, until I can get some disposable income and make the journey to JoAnn's to purchase said yarn, this project is on hold.

In the interim I'm working on Crocodile Stitch Booties using a free crochet pattern which you can find here.

On that note I'm signing off for the time being. Y'all have a great Friday!

 * A note about the purple Harmony yarn. It's such a beautiful color that when I saw it in a friend's shop I couldn't keep from buying it. Soft to the touch. A pleasure to work with both when knitting and crocheting. I know it's country of origin is China. Normally I try to limit purchases from that region to essential items only ( for humanitarian reasons, of course ). Consider this the exception to the rule. Two small balls are all that remain from the skeins I purchased to make a shawl from the Forest Reflections pattern in the Summer 2010 issue of Interweave Crochet. Shown unblocked while I decide whether or not to add fringe.




No comments:

Post a Comment