Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Where does the time go?

So much has happened since my last post I don't quite know where to begin. For starters, check out this small flower box painted using stylized rosemaling.
What is Rosemaling?
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as:
painted or sometimes carved decoration (as on furniture, walls, or wooden dinnerware) in Scandinavian peasant style that consists especially of floral designs and inscriptions
The definition goes on to talk about how it's first known use was in 1942 and how it derived from Norweigan peasant art. This type of folk art is known for stylized flowers, leaves and scroll work - much like it's American derivative.

Lucky for me, being of German and Swedish descent, I've always been around folk art. From the cuckoo clock in my maternal great-grandmothers home (on my grandfather's side) to the Hummel statues displayed on the shadow box of my maternal great-grandmother's home (on my grandmother's side). Metal TV trays were decorated in various folk patterns... Remember how eating in front of the TV was reserved for special occasions? At least that's how it was in our house. lol


Yet I digress...

Part of the reason I haven't been blogging is because I've been getting ready for shows.

Here is a small sampling of Petunia Magpie's debut at the local Farmer's Market.

The weatherman predicted torrential rain off-and-on for that entire day, so I brought only those items I knew would fare well in the weather (or fit under the umbrella). A proper canopy was purchased for the next "showing".

I was amazed at all the folks who came out in spite of the continuous misty drizzle. So many folks stopped by to admire the artwork and to read the stories I tell with each stuffed animal that gets fostered out. Such good folks and fabulous, useful feedback. 

The first sale? "The Letter K" trinket box to a young lady of discerning taste (she also purchased a stuffed pony).

Because this was the first public appearance of my art (other than Facebook and Etsy), it was a bit of a stressful time. As so many other artists who sell their work, we want everything to be perfect. We want people to see our art in a positive light and try to "make it so". I am grateful to the promoters and fellow vendors for their positive feedback. May they be blessed with increased sales.

Even when you love what you do, making products to sell is hard work. As a work-a-holic, I sometimes need to take time out to detox my mind. Today I worked a bit in the overgrown mint bed - pruning it back so the Heirloom Cherokee Black tomatoes could have a bit more sun to ripen. Brushing up against the cat-mint and 'chocolate' mint released their fragrance into the air and brought back memories. Memories of the garden of a childhood friend with row after row of fresh, bushy mint.  Memories of a summer day many moons ago playing in a field of wildflowers with daughters of a long-lost friend. I taught the girls how to braid flowers together to make circlets for their hair. It seemed only natural to braid together a wreath of mint. The beauty of the wreath will only last hours, but after dried will make a marvelous, invigorating tea for sipping in the winter.

Our next showing will be at the Mt. Jewett Swedish Festival August 9th and 10th in Mount Jewett, PA.  Hope to see you there!

To all those who follow their dreams and the ones who stand steadfast by their side: Blessed be.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment